If you think training your ass off and eating your spinach is the only key to unlocking your athletic prime, sorry there's more to it. As an athlete, you can't afford to just show up and do the work - everyone is different and you need to know exactly what makes you tick. Not just tick though - what is it that makes or breaks your ability to hum like a well oiled athletic machine?
That's a broad question but getting to the bottom of it is easier than you think. Reaching your athletic potential as an athlete requires that you continuously know the answers to the following 4 questions:
- What choices or habits tend to make you feel/perform like a champ?
- What are the key factors that make it easy to make good choices consistently or maintain performance promoting habits?
- What choices or habits tend to make you feel/perform like a slug?
- What are the key stressors or detractors that make it hard to make good choices consistently or maintain performance promoting habits?
The great athletes that I've had the good fortune to be around and work with all have a common denominator: they do more than show up early and stay late. They take ownership of the preparation process. They are constantly evaluating what works for them and what doesn't. They have the answers to what will help them reach their athletic potential.
Like what you read?
Sign up now to get the latest tips and advice
Tim DiFrancesco, PT, DPT, ATC, CSCS spent 6 seasons as the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and is the founder of TD Athletes Edge. He is nationally renowned for his evidence-based and scientific approach to fitness, training, nutrition, and recovery for athletes and fitness enthusiasts.
For training and nutrition advice, follow us on:
• Twitter http://twitter.com/tdathletesedge
• Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tdathletesedge
• Instagram http://instagram.com/tdathletesedge
• YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/tdifranc1
• Sign up for our newsletter and follow our blog at http://www.tdathletesedge.com