Master the art of making healthy food delicious with TDAE Performance Recipes
Getting enough protein can be tough but one way to make sure you hit your ideal protein mark each day is to get some for dessert. This protein-packed creamy cherry chocolate treat has your protein needs and sweet treat cravings covered in a healthy way!
- 1 Cup Frozen Cherries
- 1/3 Cup Pastured Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/3 Cup water
- 2 Scoops Source Whey Protein Powder (see below for a discount!)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
Add ingredients to blender and blend. Can also use hand immersion blender and ingredients in large cup.
*Substitute milk for cream or cut cream in half if you prefer or are looking for more protein/less fat.
**Substitute almond milk for cream if dairy sensitivity. A quick reminder that if you are skipping the dairy for reasons other than a legit lactose sensitivity, you might be missing out on important nutrients: IS ALMOND MILK HEALTHIER THAN THE REAL THING?
***Adjust amounts of liquid for preferred consistency - more for milkshake, less for ice cream.
Before getting into the specific benefits that this cherry chocolate treat offers, you're probably wondering if the cream is too much fat. It might be if you've consumed adequate amounts of healthy fats from other foods prior to having this for dessert. On the other hand, it might be just what you need if you're not getting enough healthy fat in your diet. Consider too that a responsible amount of healthy fats before bed can be a great way to promote sleep.
Another benefit of this protein delight is that it's a solution for when you get that craving to crush a pint of Ben & Jerry's but don't want all of the sugar!
- Cherries: This stone fruit has impressive inflammation fighting and cell damage defense abilities. On top of that, it brings loads of hard-to-get potassium, zinc and manganese. It doesn't end there though, cherries also bring melatonin to the table, which can help to normalize sleep/wake patterns when consumed before bedtime.
- Whey Protein: It's no secret that whey protein can be very powerful in muscle maintenance/growth efforts. What whey protein doesn't often get credit for though is it's anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and sleep promoting properties. Beyond that it does a great job of quenching hunger. Make sure that it's not loaded with sugar or other nonsense.
- Dark Chocolate: Magnesium is a mineral that many folks seem to be deficient in and it's abundant in dark chocolate. Additionally, it's loaded with antioxidants that help to protect cell damage/inflammation. Stick to buying the high quality 70% cacao versions so you don't end up with a candy bar in your grocery cart.
- Dairy Fat: Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) is a fatty acid that's been shown to improve metabolic health and promote weight loss if consumed responsibly in the form that is found in pastured or grass-fed animal products.
Our friends at Source Organics set up this coupon for you to save 10% on your order! Just enter the discount code "TIMD10" at checkout when you order from www.source-organic.com
Like what you read?
Sign up now to get the latest tips and advice
Tim DiFrancesco, PT, DPT, ATC, CSCS is the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and founder of TD Athletes Edge. He is nationally renowned for his evidence-based and scientific approach to fitness, training, nutrition, and recovery for athletes and fitness enthusiasts.
For training and nutrition advice, follow us on:
• Twitter http://twitter.com/tdathletesedge
• Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tdathletesedge
• Instagram http://instagram.com/tdathletesedge
• YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/tdifranc1
• Sign up for our newsletter and follow our blog at http://www.tdathletesedge.com