PART 8 of the #SingleLegStrength Training Series with @matthewibrahim_: Single Leg Step-Up Progressions (Lateral Focus)
The video above contains the following Single Leg Step-Up Progressions:
1. DB Goblet Lateral Step-Up w/ Eccentric Lower
2. DB Lateral Dynamic Step-Up w/ Counterweight Press
3. DB/Plate Step-Up w/ Overhead Press & Hip Flexion
Single Leg Step-Up progressions provide an important building block for athletes to not only control the hips and pelvis together, but also as a way to build strength on one leg at a time to enhance performance output and mitigate the likelihood of injury. These progressions also bring to light whether or not the athlete demonstrates hip instability between sides. From a training program and exercise dosage standpoint, these progressions provide deeper insight for the S&C Coach to prescribe the necessary implements to enhance single leg strength.
Be sure that the leg on the step/bench is doing the work. A common mistake is to push off significantly with the ground leg. Keep your knee from caving in. Avoid a drop of the hip/pelvis on the side opposite the step/bench. Keep from rocking into low back extension during the overhead press progression.
LIKE WHAT YOU READ? SIGN UP NOW TO GET THE LATEST TIPS AND ADVICE
Tim DiFrancesco, PT, DPT, ATC, CSCS spent 6 seasons as the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and is the founder of TD Athletes Edge. He is nationally renowned for his evidence-based and scientific approach to fitness, training, nutrition, and recovery for athletes and fitness enthusiasts.
For training and nutrition advice, follow us on:
• Instagram http://instagram.com/tdathletesedge
• Twitter http://twitter.com/tdathletesedge
• Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tdathletesedge
• YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/tdifranc1
• Podcast http://www.tdathletesedge.com/podcast
• Website http://www.tdathletesedge.com