This is a step up from a traditional plank. It requires great endurance and stability from your front core musculature. By adding the reach your core must resist against rotation of the trunk that occurs during that action.
Keep chest away from the floor. Keep core and glutes engaged (squeeze your biscuits). Tuck chin back as if you are making a double chin. Reach out at a 45deg angle with thumb up. Minimize side to side hip movement.
How to use
This exercise is great within a core focus day, as a pairing within a superset, or as a finisher to any workout.
Like what you read?
Sign up now to get the latest tips and advice
Tim DiFrancesco, PT, DPT, ATC, CSCS is the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and founder of TD Athletes Edge. He is nationally renowned for his evidence-based and scientific approach to fitness, training, nutrition, and recovery for athletes and fitness enthusiasts.
For training and nutrition advice, follow us on:
• Twitter http://twitter.com/tdathletesedge
• Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tdathletesedge
• Instagram http://instagram.com/tdathletesedge
• YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/tdifranc1
• Sign up for our newsletter and follow our blog at http://www.tdathletesedge.com