Get your new year workout started off right with this quick and effective warm-up:
1) Long Step Rotation with Rock-Back: Targets flexibility of the hips, hamstrings, chest, shoulders, and upper back. (3-6 repetitions each side)
2) Alternating Bear Crawl Raises: This will help to fire up the core and upper body. (3-6 raises each side)
3) Deadlift to Squat with Upper Rotation: Targets hamstring, hip, and upper body mobility. (1-5 total repetitions)
Avoid the mistake of making the warm-up complicated or excessively long in duration. The warm-up should have you ready for the workout, not become the workout. Use this brief but comprehensive warm-up to start your workouts as you get 2017 off to a big start!
Like what you read?
Sign up now to get the latest tips and advice
Tim DiFrancesco, PT, DPT, ATC, CSCS is the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and founder of TD Athletes Edge. He is nationally renowned for his evidence-based and scientific approach to fitness, training, nutrition, and recovery for athletes and fitness enthusiasts.
For training and nutrition advice, follow us on:
• Twitter http://twitter.com/tdathletesedge
• Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tdathletesedge
• Instagram http://instagram.com/tdathletesedge
• YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/tdifranc1
• Sign up for our newsletter and follow our blog at http://www.tdathletesedge.com