This is a great exercise to develop single leg competence. It targets the hamstrings and glutes on the stance leg.
Hold the dumbbell tight to the chest as you hold the single leg deadlift position. Perform the kick back action at a medium pace. Fight to keep the line between belly button and ribs short - in other words keep your core engaged. By keeping the core engaged you will avoid going into low back extension during the kick back.
How to use:
This can be used as a warm-up, as a superset on lower body day, or as part of a total body workout. Shoot for 2-4 sets of 15-30 kick back repetitions (1 rep is out & back).
Like what you read?
Sign up now to get the latest tips and advice
Tim DiFrancesco, PT, DPT, ATC, CSCS is the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and founder of TD Athletes Edge. He is nationally renowned for his evidence-based and scientific approach to fitness, training, nutrition, and recovery for athletes and fitness enthusiasts.
For training and nutrition advice, follow us on:
• Twitter http://twitter.com/tdathletesedge
• Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tdathletesedge
• Instagram http://instagram.com/tdathletesedge
• YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/tdifranc1
• Sign up for our newsletter and follow our blog at http://www.tdathletesedge.com