WHICH MUSCLES DOES THIS EXERCISE TARGET?
The lateral glutes or outside hip muscles are the primary targets of the Clamshell exercise.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT FROM THIS EXERCISE?
The lateral glute musculature is very important in making sure that the hip and knee are functioning at a high level. If that isn't the case, the knee can be at risk for injury. This exercise will help you to strengthen those important lateral glute/hip muscles and protect your knees from unnecessary forces/positions.
HOW DO I USE THIS EXERCISE IN MY WORKOUT?
Use this exercise as a warm-up to your workout. Try 1-3 sets of 8-25 reps.
Like what you read?
Sign up now to get the latest tips and advice
Tim DiFrancesco, PT, DPT, ATC, CSCS is the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers and founder of TD Athletes Edge. He is nationally renowned for his evidence-based and scientific approach to fitness, training, nutrition, and recovery for athletes and fitness enthusiasts.
For training and nutrition advice, follow us on:
• Twitter http://twitter.com/tdathletesedge
• Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tdathletesedge
• Instagram http://instagram.com/tdathletesedge
• YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/tdifranc1
• Sign up for our newsletter and follow our blog at http://www.tdathletesedge.com